Greetings CLA-EAST Families!
Testing season is over and now it is time to finish strong. With only 18 days remaining in the school year, we have so much more to accomplish. Our scholars and teachers have several field experiences and spring trips, the Spring Celebration of Learning, a talent show and content exams in each class. There is no room for cutting back and we need everyone to keep up the hard work.
Last Friday was an amazing day for our school community. We were all were inspired by Airiyan Davis’ call to action during Better World Day. Spread love…not hate…stop the violence…and be great! This is what we all shouted as we marched the streets of the Glennville community to tie our peach ribbons on nearby street poles. The day began with two dynamic speakers with hands-on experience with city violence. Next, the school moved to breakout sessions where we were led by four amazing facilitators, followed by several service projects that included writing letters to local elected officials. It was truly a day to remember.
Now that state testing is done, it is now time to have a little fun. The following events are scheduled for our scholars and may require a parent meeting.
- Tuesday, May 7 @ 2:00 pm; Play 60 with the Cleveland Browns. Select students will be participating in a 60-minute workout with the members of the Cleveland Browns
- Tuesday, May 7@ 8:30 am; Grade 6 Migration Interviews at Thomas Jefferson Newcomers Academy.
- Wednesday, May 8 @ 12:30 pm; Grade 6 Museum of Natural History field experience.
- Thursday, May 9 @ 5:00 pm; spring trip parent meeting. This meeting is mandatory for all scholars who have been invited to participate in this year’s trips. 6th/7th-grade families will meet in the art room.
- Monday, May 13th – 14th; 6th-grade spring trip to Hiram House. Agendas and details will be issued at the parent meeting on May 9th.
- Thursday, May 23rd @ 4:00 pm; spring celebration of learning
- Friday, May 24th; end of year dance. (TBD)
- Tuesday, May 28th – 29th; 7th-grade spring trip to Kelly’s Island. Agendas and details will be issued at the parent meeting on May 9th.
- Thursday, May 30th; end of year talent show & field day. Last day of school.
This week is teacher’s appreciation week. We urge all families to show your love and support for our teaching staff this week. Thursday is our designated day for students and families to shower your teachers with your love.
Lastly, If you have not already done so, please take the time to complete your re-enrollment by logging in to your SchoolMint account or call the schools main office and speak with Ms. Scott.
I’m looking forward to another great week…let’s go TIGERS!
Yours in Education,
Ricardo Franklin, Sr.
|6TH GRADE||7TH GRADE|
|MATH||This week scholars will conclude watching Hidden Figures before being introduced to a budget. Scholars will spend majority of the week selecting a career and creating a budget which will be presented at the COL||Scholars will continue to work on their COL projects.|
|SCIENCE||Scholars will visit the Natural History Museum, as well as starting their COL projects.||Scientist will be going through the introductory period of what the Engineering Design Process is and how to apply it to everyday life.|
|ENGLISH||Scholars will continue reading Home of the Brave as well as discussing figurative language.||Scholars will continue reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. They will focus on how the author builds suspense leading up to the climax of the novel.|
|SOCIAL STUDIES||Scholars will be interviewing immigrants and refugees at Thomas Jefferson International Newcomers Academy in order to complete community profiles for their COL projects.||Scholars will complete their articles for their COL projects. Scholars will also make meaningful and calculated steps to ensure they are creating a professional product.|
Operations, Special Events & Updates
- 5/9 – Spring trip parent meeting @ 5:00pm (Mandatory for all scholars who will be on the trip)
- 5/13-14 – 6th grade spring trip
- 5/23 – COL
- 5/28-29 – 7th grade spring trip
- 5/30 – Last Day of School
Current School data
|Attendance – 94.4%||Pass/Fail Rate – 36.1%||Suspension Rate – 17.3%|