Greetings CLA-EAST Families!
I hope everyone has enjoyed their week and some of the first snowfall of the school year. With the temperatures dropping, I’m encouraged to remind everyone of two important winter reminders. First, please make sure your scholar is dressing for the weather. Shorts are no longer permitted to be worn as a part of the school’s dress code. Each scholar should wear full-length khaki pants along with their polo shirt. Classrooms are maintained at a comfortable temperature however for some scholars it may still feel chilly. School purchased fleeces can be worn as well as solid colored hoodies (purple, black, gray and white). Second, it is extremely important to stress proper hand washing. The spread of germs is the leading cause of scholars becoming sick and missing school.
First-trimester report cards have been mailed home. Please expect your scholar’s report card to arrive this week. If you have not received it by Friday, please email me or call the schools main office for a replacement. Scholars earning high honors, merit roll, most improved and perfect attendance during the first trimester will be honored during the community meeting on Friday, November 16th at 8:00 am. Scholars will be notified Monday, November 12th of their honors designation(s).
Basketball tryouts will be held this week as follows:
- Boys; Monday/Tuesday @ 3:45 pm – 5:00 pm
- Girls; Tuesday/Wednesday @ 3:45 pm – 5:00 pm
- Tryouts will be for boys/girls interested in playing for the CLAE Tiger and Lady Tigers basketball team. Scholars must have gym attire in order to try out. No one will be allowed to try out in regular school uniform. Scholars who make the first cut will be invited to day #2 of tryouts. The final roster will be announced on Wednesday during school for boys and Thursday during school for girls. Scholars must be in good academic standing in order to make the final roster for either team.
On Wednesday, we have the privilege and pleasure of taking our 7th-grade scholars (only) to a special viewing of the movie The Hate You Give. The acclaimed film follows the fallout after an African-
American high school student witnesses a police shooting. Scholars and staff will travel to Tower City for the special viewing. Scholars must be in full CLAE dress code and will not be permitted to bring or buy snacks on the trip. (See the full trailer to the movie here)
As we continue in November, our cultural foci will continue to be Diversity Awareness. Our scholars will take time in crew to have conversations surrounding acceptance, difference, and how to make our school an inviting place for all people. Our crew topics will give scholars space and opportunity to learn, explore and express with their peers and crew leaders.
I’m looking forward to another great week…let’s go TIGERS!
Yours in Education,
Ricardo Franklin, Sr.
|6TH GRADE||7TH GRADE|
|MATH||Scholars will be working on writing and solving equations using real-world scenarios
|Scholars will find the distance between rational numbers with and without using a number line. They will focus on real-world problems and using math to solve for distance questions.|
|SCIENCE||Scientist will be working on a project to deepen their understanding on of sol and real-life usage.||Scientist will continue to work on different forms of wave energy with virtual and practical labs.|
|ENGLISH||This week scholars will begin reading their new book, Wonder.||Scholars will practice source-based informational writing and prepare for the first writing assessment on Monday, November 19th.|
|SOCIAL STUDIES||Scholars will be reviewing the four ancient civilizations in preparation for our end of unit assessment this Thursday!||Scholars will be putting the finishing touches on their personal myths and rehearsing how to read them with emphasis and conviction! We will be preparing to read them the CAE K-5 scholars.|
Operations, Special Events & Updates
- November – Diversity Awareness Month
- 11/12-14 Basketball tryouts (Boys/Girls)
- 11/13 – PAC Meeting @ 5:15
- 11/16 – Trimester I Honors Ceremony @ 8:00 am
- 11/19 – Board Meeting @ 4:30 pm (CLAE)
- 11/21 – 11/23 – Thanksgiving Break
- 11/30 – Picture re-take day (students can bring clothes to change in to)
- 12/7 – PD Day (No School)
- 12/20 – Winter Celebration of Learning @ 4:30 pm
- 12/24 – 1/4 – Winter Break
Current School Data
Average Daily Attendance— 95.0% (down) Suspension rate—5.7% Pass/Fail Rate – 50%/50%